7.28.2008

Awesome Peanut Butter Cookies

Last Friday Jill was working from home (she uses the office in our outbuilding). Of course I get to spend the day with Bree! We spent the morning reading books, coloring, and playing follow the leader scurvy pirate style. After her nap I needed to find something to occupy her time until her dad and Papa got here for dinner. Any break in activity results in pleas to watch Dora or Max & Ruby. So we baked cookies. I wanted a recipe that didn't make lots of cookies and chose Awesome Peanut Butter Cookies. I got the recipe from a Better Homes and Garden Christmas cookie magazine. Gary told me these were wicked things and dangerous to have around the house. So I sent half of them home with Jill and Chris. The rest were gone by Sunday night!
Here's the recipe:
1 cup peanut butter (it may not matter to you, but the Snyder girls only use Jif.)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a mixing bowl beat peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
2. Shape dough into 1 1/4" balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet (don't use insulated cookie sheet); flatten slightly with fingers.
3. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until cookies are puffed and lightly browned around edges (centers will be soft). Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely. makes 24

I wish I would have taken a picture, but maybe for the next recipe. Anyway, Bree and I had "fun?" She gets to dump the ingredients in the bowl and help with the mixer. I think it was easier when she was 2. This was all new to her and she listened and followed instructions. Now she is almost 3 and thinks she knows how to do it all herself. It requires a lot more patience on my part...but it's fun and I the time we spend together is priceless! Take the time and bake some cookies, they may not be "good" for you, but they sure do make life more fun!

No comments: